We made a short presentation on the Sims in class. Here are the slides and the script.
HISTORY - Slide
- The Sims is the first game in the series. Developed by Maxis and published by Electronic Arts, it was released for Microsoft Windows in February 2000.
- The Sims 2 are released on September 14, 2004. The sequel, developed by Maxis, takes place in a full 3D environment with every sim having an aspiration system.
- The Sims 3 are released on June 2, 2009. Game has open, seamless neighbourhood, with improved tools for sim creation, enhanced build and buy mode functions, and the introduction of wishes and goals.
- The Sims 4 will be available in 2014. It allows creating sims with intelligence and emotion. It provides new intuitive creative tools to sculpt sims and build unique homes. Game gives control over the mind, body, and heart of sims to bring stories to life.
- The Sims Online, The Sims Stories, MySims, The Sims Carnival, The Sims Medieval, The Sims Social …
HISTORY - Script/notes
Sims 1 - Seven expansion packs and two bonafide deluxe editions with exclusive content have been released for this game. By March 22, 2002, The Sims had sold more than 2 million copies worldwide, making it the best-selling P.C. game in history
The Sims 2 is set some 25 years after the original game. For instance, the Goth family has aged significantly with Bella Goth mysteriously vanishing in the 25-year period. Because the entire game has progressed from 2D sprites to 3D models, all content in The Sims 2 had to be created from the ground up. Electronic Arts has released eight expansion packs and nine stuff packs for The Sims 2. Over 400 exclusive items have also been released for this game via The Sims 2 Store
The Sims 3 sold 1.4 million copies in the first week, making it the largest release in PC gaming history at the time. The game has sold over 10 million copies worldwide since its release. Eleven expansion packs and nine stuff packs have been released for the third generation of the series. Notably, Maxis was no longer involved in the production
The Sims 4 is built upon an entirely new technology. The content from The Sims 3 will not be transferable to The Sims 4. The Sims 4 will be available for PC.
EFFECTS OF THE GAME - Slide
- The Sims is one of first full-commercial strategic life-simulation video games that still is most successful artificial life game
- Inspired other games
- Has real life applications
EFFECTS OF THE GAME - Script/notes
Artificial life games and life simulations find their origins in artificial life research, including Conway’s Game of Life from 1970. But one of the first commercially viable artificial life games was Little Computer People in 1985, a Commodore 64 game that allowed players to type requests to characters living in a virtual house. The game is cited as a little-known forerunner of virtual-life simulator games to follow. One of the earliest dating sims, Tenshitachi no gogo, was released for the 16-bit NEC PC-9801 computer that same year, though dating sim elements can be found in Sega’s earlier Girl’s Garden in 1984. In 1986, the early biological simulation game Bird Week was released. In the mid-1990s, as artificial intelligence programming improved, true AI virtual pets such as Petz and Tamagotchi began to appear. Around the same time, Creatures became “the first full-blown commercial entertainment application of Artificial Life and genetic algorithms”.
BEHAVIOUR OF THE PLAYER - Slide
- Cheats - Infinite money - Maximum skills
- Different objectives
- Dream house
- Woo Hoo
- Aspects of life (University, Seasons, Pets…)
BEHAVIOUR OF THE PLAYER - Script/notes
What’s the most memorable thing about the Sims? We think it depends greatly on how the player has behaved when playing. What do we remember the most? The cheats and the ability to play God. There are a lot of different cheats, and most of you remember ‘motherlode’ or ‘rosebud’ to get more money;!;!;!; We all have different objectives when playing the Sims such as acting out your dream of becoming an architect and designing your dream house, or perhaps playing God and killing your Sims off in different ways. There are several ways of doing this, like trapping your Sims in a room with fire, removing the ladder when they’re in the pool so they drown or simply by letting them age. Another way of behaving in game, could of course be to do “the right thing” and let their Sims create a family and live their life as intended. Also are several different aspects of life which the player can focus on, for instance “University, Seasons, Pets… etc.”